- The Simmons Firm Blog
- > KSDK to Air Report on Coldwater Creek Contamination
The two-part series to air on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 during Channel 5 News
KSDK Channel Five News will air a two-part series about the contamination of Coldwater Creek in north St. Louis County this coming week. The investigative piece will air during the channel’s 10 o’clock news hour and provide a further look into residents’ concerns that nuclear waste dumped in the creek decades ago is now causing a variety of illnesses, including cancer.
As early as the 1940s, radioactive waste from uranium processing at the former Mallinckrodt Chemical Plant in downtown St. Louis was dumped at one of two storage facilities near the St. Louis Lambert Airport. Coldwater Creek bordered both sites. The waste was stored in drums that later leaked or was dumped into one of two piles. The runoff from the unsecured storage areas flowed into area ditches and the creek.
In 1989, both sites were designated Superfund sites by the Environmental Protection Agency. Cleanup is expected to finish sometime this year. However, hundreds of residents have reporting an unusual number of illnesses in their community like leukemia, multiple myeloma thyroid cancer, lung cancer and more. Many are now questioning the link between the illnesses and the creek.
Be sure to tune into News Channel 5 this Thursday and Friday night to learn more about this serious public health hazard.
If you believe you or someone you love may have been harmed by contamination in Coldwater Creek, click here to learn more.
Post a comment
- Blog Contributors
- Simmons Mesothelioma Foundation
- Mesothelioma Video Library
- Simmons Cancer Institute
- Connect to Us Online
- Bridgeton Landfill: Rolling Stone Magazine Puts Spotlight on Underground Fire
- Simmons Employee Golf Tourney to Feed Area Elementary Students
- Asbestos Facts and Stats You Should Know
- U.S. Surgeon General Stresses Dangers of Asbestos Exposure
- FACT Act Threatens Rights of Asbestos Victims and Families
- Asbestos Conference Keynotes Feature Asbestos Medical Expert, Advocate
- Honorees to Be Awarded at the 2013 ADAO Conference Dinner
- Meso Foundation to Host Live Stream of 2013 Symposium
- Mesothelioma Symposium To Feature Popular Event Fundraising Session
- Share Your Mesothelioma Story with ADAO
- VIEW MORE