- The Simmons Firm Blog
- > Healthy Lung Month & Mesothelioma Awareness
The month of October is Healthy Lung Month. This health observance is sponsored by the American Lung Association and strives to increase national awareness pertaining to the warning signs of diseases of the lungs along with promoting healthy maintenance of the lungs.
Throughout Healthy Lung Month, activities and events will occur all over the U.S. in support of education and healthy living for strong, healthy lungs. The American Lung Association offers ways for all people to get involved including community events, social media activity, volunteering, and advocating for lung health-related public policy initiatives.
Healthy Lung Month’s goal is to educate people on the warning signs of diseases of the lungs; this includes asbestos-related diseases like pleural mesothelioma, a disease our clients at the Simmons Firm struggle with daily. Pleural mesothelioma is a cancer of the smooth lining of the lungs and is the most common form of malignant mesothelioma. It exhibits a long latency period, with symptoms appearing years after exposure to asbestos. Symptoms associated with lung disease are also commonly associated with pleural mesothelioma, including:
- Chronic fluid production: Mucus, a fluid produced by the airways, is a defense response to infection or irritants. Mucus production that lasts for long periods of time could indicate mesothelioma or lung disease.
- Chronic cough: A persistent cough that does not go away.
- Difficulty breathing: Wheezing or difficulty taking breaths could point to a bigger problem within the chest or lungs.
- Chronic chest pain: Unexplained chest pain that lasts for longer than a month can be a warning sign of mesothelioma or lung disease. It’s especially critical if it gets worse when breathing or coughing.
- Unexplained weight loss: A decrease in weight loss that is not voluntary by dieting or an increase in exercise can be a warning sign of mesothelioma or lung disease. It’s especially concerning if a significant amount of weight is lost in a short period of time.
Take part in Healthy Lung Month and help spread the word on warning signs of pleural mesothelioma and any other disease affecting the lungs. Learn more today.
Post a comment
- Blog Contributors
- Simmons Mesothelioma Foundation
- Mesothelioma Video Library
- Simmons Cancer Institute
- Connect to Us Online
- Asbestos Legistation Update: Corporations Lobby for Legislative Protections While Thousands of U.S. Military Veterans Continue to Die from Asbestos Cancer
- Bridgeton Landfill: Rolling Stone Magazine Puts Spotlight on Underground Fire
- Simmons Employee Golf Tourney to Feed Area Elementary Students
- Asbestos Facts and Stats You Should Know
- U.S. Surgeon General Stresses Dangers of Asbestos Exposure
- FACT Act Threatens Rights of Asbestos Victims and Families
- Asbestos Conference Keynotes Feature Asbestos Medical Expert, Advocate
- Honorees to Be Awarded at the 2013 ADAO Conference Dinner
- Meso Foundation to Host Live Stream of 2013 Symposium
- Mesothelioma Symposium To Feature Popular Event Fundraising Session
- VIEW MORE