- The Simmons Firm Blog
- > Mesothelioma: Families Share Hope, Strength at Miles for Meso 2012
Most people have never heard of mesothelioma. They don’t understand the devastation involved in a mesothelioma diagnosis. They don’t realize there is no cure or that mesothelioma is one of the lowest-funded cancers by the National Cancer Institute. For the families and friends of those diagnosed with the disease, opportunities to raise awareness and funds are important because they can make a difference.
Miles for Meso is an annual “fun run and walk” that brings together mesothelioma survivors, individuals recently diagnosed, and family members of mesothelioma victims to raise awareness and research funding. This is an event our firm has been honored to create and sponsor since the first run in 2009.
Every year, races are held in Illinois, Indiana, Virginia and Florida. Throughout the past four years, the races have raised over $160,000 in proceeds for the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to finding better treatments and a cure for this life-changing disease. The race is a fun, educational event for people of all ages and athletic abilities.
“People ask me why I keep doing it since [my husband] passed away,” says Shelly Kozicki, spouse of a meso victim, in the video below. “I do it because I’ve made friends who are still fighting.”
To see for yourself the significance of Miles for Meso, the dedication and passion among those who participate, or to learn more about the mesothelioma cause, view the video below.
Post a comment
- Blog Contributors
- Simmons Mesothelioma Foundation
- Mesothelioma Video Library
- Simmons Cancer Institute
- Connect to Us Online
- Bridgeton Landfill: Rolling Stone Magazine Puts Spotlight on Underground Fire
- Simmons Employee Golf Tourney to Feed Area Elementary Students
- Asbestos Facts and Stats You Should Know
- U.S. Surgeon General Stresses Dangers of Asbestos Exposure
- FACT Act Threatens Rights of Asbestos Victims and Families
- Asbestos Conference Keynotes Feature Asbestos Medical Expert, Advocate
- Honorees to Be Awarded at the 2013 ADAO Conference Dinner
- Meso Foundation to Host Live Stream of 2013 Symposium
- Mesothelioma Symposium To Feature Popular Event Fundraising Session
- Share Your Mesothelioma Story with ADAO
- VIEW MORE