National Mesothelioma Awareness Day takes place on Sept. 26 every year. With the date fast approaching, the time to get involved in the events happening across the country is now.
Meso Awareness Day is a day dedicated to raising awareness and research funds for mesothelioma. It first began in 2004 when it was started by a group of Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation volunteers. In 2010, the U.S. Congress passed a resolution designating Sept. 26 as National Mesothelioma Awareness Day. Every year since then, participation in the awareness day has grown larger and more widespread.
You can be a part of the success of Meso Awareness Day 2013. Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Organize a fundraising event. Hold the event on Sept. 26 or another day close to it to mark Meso Awareness Day and raise funds for mesothelioma research. Examples of fundraising events include Miles for Meso and other 5K runs and walks, Kayaking 4 Meso, The Judith L. Lagana Memorial Northeast Off-Road Championship Race, Flywheel Sports Rides to Cure Meso, and many more. If you organize a fundraising event, make sure to submit it to the Meso Foundation so it can be included on their schedule.
- Attend an event. Even if you’re not organizing the event yourself, attending someone else’s fundraiser or event is still participation in Meso Awareness Day. View the upcoming community events for Meso Awareness Day to see if there is one happening near you.
- Contact your local media. Let your local newspapers, radios and TV stations know about Meso Awareness Day so they can do a story on you, your family or your event and help spread awareness about mesothelioma.
- Make Meso Awareness Day official in your city and state. You can request your city or your state to recognize Meso Awareness Day by contacting the proper officials. The Meso Foundation has step-by-step instructions for how to do this here.
- Attend the Knowledge is Hope conference. On Sept. 27, a one-day conference on malignant mesothelioma for patients, their families, physicians and anyone else looking to learn about the disease is taking place in New York.
- Go to the Rockefeller Plaza during the Today Show on Sept. 26. The Meso Foundation will be on the Today Show on Sept. 26 promoting the awareness day, and you could be among the crowd showing its support by holding signs and wearing Meso Awareness Day t-shirts.
The Firm is a national sponsor of the annual Miles for Meso 5K Fun Run/Walk. We have posted many resources about the Miles for Meso event this year. Learn more about how you can get involved or what activities your kids might enjoy, including arcade games and a photo booth, now.