House Resolution 982, or the so-called ‘FACT Act,’ if passed, would require asbestos trusts to release confidential information about asbestos victims including their work history, family information and the last four digits of their social security numbers.
This bill denies and delays justice for thousands of asbestos victims. Stand with them and tell your Representative to oppose H.R. 982 when it comes up for a vote this Wednesday.
You can visit them in person or give their office a call and express your concerns about H.R. 982. Here’s how to do so, based on Take Justice Back’s “How to Contact Congress Guide.”
1. Find your members of Congress here.
2. Give them a call to ask them to vote NO on H.R. 982.
- Remember that they will want to know your name and address so they can write you a letter back, acknowledging your concern and their position on the issue.
- Please know that if you do not leave your name and address with staff, they will not pass your concerns onto your Representative. So it’s really important to let them know who you are!
3. On the call, tell them about your concerns. Make sure to include:
- The bill helps big corporations who have gotten rich from asbestos continue to profit from the suffering of their employees and consumers.
- This bill allows Big Asbestos corporations to delay and deny justice until asbestos victims die. That’s not right!
- Congress should be protecting our safety and wellbeing, not helping corporations profit from putting us in danger.
- Veterans have been disproportionately impacted by asbestos and will be disproportionately harmed by this bill. While veterans represent 8% of the nation’s population, they comprise an astonishing 30 percent of all known mesothelioma deaths that have occurred in this country. Mesothelioma is horrific asbestos disease for which there is no cure.
Thank you for your support!