Simmons Hanly Conroy attorneys in the firm’s Complex Litigation Department represent individuals and businesses in cases of corporate wrongdoing. Our complex litigation clients are people who come from all walks of life, including consumers, entrepreneurs, municipalities and businesses. They all have one thing in common, however. They have been harmed by a larger corporation or business entity and don’t know where to turn.
That’s where we come in. We have the experience, knowledge and resources necessary to go head-to-head with larger defendants in the court room and get results. With 80 attorneys in six offices who are licensed to practice law in multiple states, we file complex litigation and mass tort cases across the United States. Many of our attorneys have been appointed by federal judges to leadership positions in cases of national scope.
How do We Help?
Traditional litigation can be prohibitively expensive. At Simmons Hanly Conroy, we believe high costs should not preclude you from protecting your rights or interests. Our contingency-based approach to litigation offers more flexibility than traditional hourly models.
Complex Litigation Attorneys
The complex litigation attorneys at Simmons Hanly Conroy have centuries of cumulative experience and the resources necessary to level the playing field for our clients. They have spent decades winning complex lawsuits against defendants that have practically unlimited resources. That experience sets Simmons Hanly Conroy and their clients apart with suing large and often global corporations.
Simmons Hanly Conroy attorneys have a history of persevering for their clients amid the most challenging circumstances, fierce opposition and setbacks encountered during the course of class action and mass tort lawsuits, which can be complex in the face of adversity. Because of our success, hard work and personal sacrifice, several of our attorneys have been appointed to national leadership positions in the practice areas of both complex litigation and pharmaceutical litigation.
Named shareholders Paul Hanly and Jayne Conroy oversee the firm’s complex litigation department and have helped forge the firm’s national reputation for litigating complex, cutting-edge civil litigation at the state and federal level.
Ms. Conroy has represented several thousand victims of the September 11, 2001 tragedy in a multidistrict action against the financial sponsors of terrorism. In a separate set of negligence litigations against the airlines and airport security companies on behalf of 50 families who lost their loved ones on the four 9/11 aircraft, Ms. Conroy helped forge settlements that totaled in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Jayne Conroy’s Leadership Positions:
- Member of Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, Syngenta AG MIR162 Corn Litigation MDL 2591; Litigation resolved for approximately $1.5 billion in settlements.
- Member of Lead Counsel Committee for Economic Loss Committee, Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration MDL 2151; Litigation resolved for over $1 billion in settlements.
- Co-Chair of Environmental Testing Committee, Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” MDL 2179; Litigation resolved for approximately $2 billion in settlements.
- Co-chair of Plaintiffs’ Law and Briefing Committee in Yasmin and Yaz (Drospirenone) Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2100; Litigation resolved for approximately $1.6 billion in settlements.
- Co-counsel and member of Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, In Re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL Docket No. 2244; National litigation on-going, verdicts awarded in bellwether cases totaling more than $1 billion.
- Member of Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, MDL No. 2672, In Re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing, Sales Practices, And Products Liability; Litigation resolved for approximately $15.9 billion in settlements.
Between 2008 and 2010, Mr. Hanly served as lead counsel to a small, publicly-traded company in its antitrust suit against an industry giant, resulting in a settlement of $32 million for the company.
Between 2010 and 2013, Mr. Hanly spent substantial time on Chambers v. Merrill Lynch, a class action on behalf of Merrill financial advisors claiming lost deferred compensation benefits, resulting in a $20 million dollar settlement. The defendants were ordered to pay a separate amount for attorneys’ fees.
Paul Conroy’s Leadership Positions:
- Co-lead Counsel, In Re National Prescription Opiate Litigation, MDL 2804 (N.D. Ohio 2018)
- Member of Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001, MDL 1570; Litigation resolved for millions of dollars in settlements.
- Member of Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001, No. 21 MC 97l; Litigation resolved for millions of dollars in settlements.
- Chair of Plaintiffs’ Discovery Committee, DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2244; litigation ongoing
Recent Complex Litigation Results for our Clients
Helping our clients stand up for their rights is our first priority. If you are involved in a class action or mass tort lawsuit, you will have your questions answered and your progress explained, no matter which complex litigation practice area your case is in.
Our firm has a proven track record of success and client satisfaction, having recovered more than $5 billion in verdicts and settlements for clients. Some of the results specific to our Complex Litigation Department include the following:
- Volkswagen owners receive $15.9 billion global settlement in emissions scandal
- Corn farmers awarded $1.5 billion global settlement against seed company Syngenta for GMO corn seed false marketing
- Victims of sexual abuse receive $60 million class action settlement against Catholic school
- Toyota owners affected by unintended acceleration receive a $1.6 billion settlement
- Residents near a Missouri landfill receive a $7 million settlement
- Synergetics USA, Inc., a company that manufactures optical surgery equipment, receives a $32 million contingent-fee antitrust settlement
Simmons Hanly Conroy attorneys have worked at the forefront of national cases, such as the Deepwater Horizon litigation, litigation filed on behalf of families of victims of the Sept. 11 attack, the Toyota Unintended Acceleration litigation, the on-going GMO corn litigation against Syngenta and more.
For a full list of Complex Litigation results, visit our Verdicts and Settlements page.